The sexual assault allegations against Sean “Diddy” Combs are leading to changes in his business life. According to Variety, the entertainment mogul is stepping down as chairman of pop culture/entertainment cable channel Revolt. TMZ reports that this is a “temporary move,” as the rapper/producer doesn’t want the lawsuits to “distract from Revolt’s mission or success.”
As previously reported by The Root, on Nov. 16, the Bad Boy founder’s ex-girlfriend Cassie Ventura filed a lawsuit accusing him of “rape, repeated physical abuse, sexual assault, sexual battery, and of violating New York City’s gender-motivated violence law.” The court documents detail the singer’s years-long alleged physical abuse and manipulation from Combs. The day after the suit was filed, Combs and Ventura settled the matter, with the details being kept private.
“I have decided to resolve this matter amicably on terms that I have some level of control. I want to thank my family, fans and lawyers for their unwavering support,” Ventura said in a statement.
“We have decided to resolve this matter amicably. I wish Cassie and her family all the best,” Combs said.
Though some questioned the quick settlement, the “Last Night” rapper’s lawyer, Ben Brafman, said in a statement, “Just so we’re clear, a decision to settle a lawsuit, especially in 2023, is in no way an admission of wrongdoing. Mr. Combs’ decision to settle the lawsuit does not in any way undermine his flat-out denial of the claims. He is happy they got to a mutual settlement and wishes Ms. Ventura the best.”
Cassie filed her lawsuit under New York’s Adult Survivors Act, which allowed victims one year to file a civil lawsuit against their attackers, even if the statute of limitations had expired. Before the act expired on Nov. 23, two more women filed sexual assault lawsuits against Diddy.
Joi Dickerson-Neal alleges that the Harlem native “drugged, sexually assaulted and abused” her in 1991. She’s also accusing him of recording the incident and distributing “revenge porn” of her assault. In the other lawsuit, a Jane Doe alleges that Diddy and singer Aaron Hall raped her and her friends 1990 or 1991 at Hall’s apartment. Combs’ spokesperson called the allegations “fabricated claims.”The prolific producer has already seen consequences from these accusations affect his reputation and business. A podcaster at Revolt publicly exited her show after Cassie’s lawsuit made headlines. Combs is making this move to keep the attention on Revolt’s 10-year anniversary and not him. However, we all know that’s not really possible when allegations like these become public. At this point, it’s really just a question of how many of his businesses will be affected by the scandal?